Friday, July 14, 2017

New Legazpi hospital to get additional P50-M DOH fund: Mayor Rosal

LEGAZPI CITY, July 11 -- The city government here held a soft opening of the new Legazpi City Hospital (LCH) on Monday with Mayor Noel Rosal announcing additional funds from the Department of Health (DOH) for the construction of another floor for the facility.

Rosal said Health Secretary Paulyn Ubial, in her recent visit here to inspect the construction of the facility, said the DOH has earmarked an additional P50 million to finance the project.

“We got another P50 million after Sec. Ubial was so impressed of the new city hospital as she promised to release the funds soon as it is ready,” he said.

Hoping to address the overcrowding of hundreds of patients seeking medical treatment in various government run hospitals in Albay, the opening of the LCH would be a value added boost that would seek to answer this pressing hospitalization concern, according to City Mayor Noel Rosal.

He pointed out that the newly constructed 80-bed capacity LCH would help decongest the overcrowded Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital (BRTTH) that presently caters to patients in the entire province of Albay including the provinces of Sorsogon, Masbate and Catanduanes.

The P90-million newly built hospital is seated within a 3,000-square meter lot owned by the city administration in the eight-hectare central business center at the heart of the commercial district in Barangay Bitano, Legazpi City.

The project was a partnership between the DOH which poured in P60 million while the city administration has also provided P30 million.

Rosal said that in a meeting in Manila, he presented to the DOH the construction plan of the 3rd floor including the elevator and additional operating and delivery rooms and other improvements of the new hospital. He said in an interview Monday, "the two-story hospital is expected to open this coming August or September with an initial 25 to 50 beds plus the hospital beds and other medical amenities donated by our kababayan from the United States”. The hospital is only phasing one and level one with a capacity of 60 to 80 beds but according to the study of the DOH, “this health facility should expand into the third floor with additional rooms to accommodate a capacity for 200 beds in order to qualify it into level 2 hospital”, Rosal added.

The city chief executive disclosed that his administration will submit soon a project proposal to the DOH for the construction of the third floor.

Rosal described this hospital as a state of the art public health facility and this will be the most modern in the entire Bicol region to be manned by professional doctors, nurses, midwives, dentists, med-tech and other medical personnel that will render health care services to the city’s indigents patients.

He noted that based on the standard of the DOH, a level one hospital requires employment of at least 113 personnel who should be residents of the city.

Rosal explained that the city will shoulder the yearly operation expenses of the hospital that requires P80 to P100 million to pay for the salaries and wages of all the medical practitioners as well as the electrical and water billings, gasoline and other similar expenses.

According to the mayor, the first four of the six containers of medical equipment for the hospital were turned over by the World Medical Relief (WMR) to the city administration last year while the last two containers were turned over last month by Dr. David Zarate, a Filipino Doctor of WMR based in Detroit Michigan, U.S.A.

The donated medical equipment by the WMR included an X-ray machine, dialysis machine, office tables, medicines, hospital beds, and other medical supplies to be used for the full operation of the hospital, he added. (Emmanuel P. Solis/PNA)