NAGA CITY, Feb. 8 (PNA)— After almost eight months of implementation of the anti-illegal drug campaign “Tokhang,” a total of 89 suspected pushers and users were killed while more than 86,000 drug surrenderers were documented by PRO5, Chief Supt. Melvin Ramon Buenafe, PRO5 director said Wednesday, following the launch of multisectoral group Bicol Region Against Drug or BRAD in Goa, Camarines Sur.
President Rodrigo Duterte has tasked the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) to lead in the anti-illegal drug campaign with the Philippine National Police in a supporting role after top police officials were recently tagged in the kidnapping of Korean businessman Jee Ick Joo who was killed inside Camp Crame in October last year.
Buenafe said the establishment of BRAD has indicated that the great majority of Bicolanos are fed- up with the illegal drug problem and openly supporting the massive government campaign against it.
“Even though the anti-drug campaign has been suspended, BRAD will continue with its information dissemination and awareness campaign against illegal drugs and conduct medical and dental services in the barangays,” he said.
Buenafe said BRAD is composed of local government units (LGU) and schools supporting the illegal drug campaign.
“We want to continue the anti-illegal drug campaign with less violence and more through persuasion with the help of the LGUs and schools,” he said.
Buenafe said part of BRAD’s activities is the holding of youth camps where young people into substance abuse will be given “worthwhile” activities so they can change their perspectives.
He added Brad will also provide a series of lectures on drug addiction to encourage them to avoid illegal drugs. (PNA) FPV/GVR/JME/CBD