LEGAZPI CITY, April 13 (PNA) -- Palarong Pambansa medical team members rushed a blind female player for special games of Region 4-B or Mimaropa to the nearby Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital (BRTTH) after she was electrocuted when she held the metal railing of the Jollibee food chain beside the grandstand of the Albay Provincial Sports Complex inside the Bicol University compound about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.
A report identified the victim as Pamela Tabas-tabas, 17, a player of Region 4-B in standing long jump in the special games of the Palarong Pambansa 2016.
The report said Tabas-tabas was preparing for the game when she decided to go to the comfort room.
As she was feeling her way by to the facility barefooted, she touched the metal railing of the food stand and suddenly quivered.
Alert bystanders who saw what happened, however, immediately put off the main switch of the sports complex.
Tabas-tabas cried in desperation after the medical team refused to allow her to join the competition while she is under observation inside the hospital.
Dr. Eric Raburar of the BRTTH said it is their automatic decision to prevent her from joining the game as she needs to undergo a thorough medical examination because when one is electrocuted, it is the heart and the blood that are affected.
In the case of Tabas-tabas, Raburar said that although she is conscious, her left hand and left body are numb after having been electrocuted and so she needs close observation.
Nika Vargas, a resident of Legazpi City and a saleslady in another food stall, said she was also a victim of electrocution when she held on the railing but because she was wearing a rubber shoes, she did not feel hard the electric current.
Authorities believe that the cable attached to the food stand has a live wire touching the metal railing which caused the power current.
As a result they temporarily closed the food stand while the Albay Power and Energy Corp. disconnected the electric cable line that supplies power. (PNA) LAP/FGS/JH/CBD/EBP