Friday, October 16, 2015

Albay raises alert, monitoring status as typhoon 'Lando' nears
By Nancy Ibo Mediavillo

LEGAZPI CITY, Oct. 16 (PNA) -- The alert and monitoring status has been raised in Albay province in preparation for the impact of typhoon "Lando".

Dr. Cedric Daep, Albay Public Safety and Emergency Management Office (APSEMO) chief said it is standard operating procedure to closely monitor the weather condition based on the report of state weather bureau the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA).

He added they are also on alert for reports coming from the disaster officials of the 15 towns and three cities in the province, and those coming directly from the 720 villages in the province.

He said he had already recommended to Governor Joey Salceda, who also serves as chairman of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council, to ban sea travel due to threats of strong winds brought by "Lando".

As "Lando" nears landfall, PAGASA hoisted typhoon signal number 1 over the provinces of Camarines Sur, Camarines Norte and Catanduanes.

PAGASA said these provinces will experience winds with a strength of 20 kms to 50 kms per hour.(PNA) JMC/FGS/NIM/CBD