LEGAZPI CITY, Oct. 8 (PNA) – Albay Gov. Joey Sarte Salceda has advised temporary residents of the 45 evacuation centers in two cities and five towns in the province to be extra careful in their domestic activities and camp officials to be strict in the management of these refuge shelters.
This after a female evacuee suffered from burns when her family’s temporary shelter, which is being shared by another family, in the evacuation center in Sitio Bical, Barangay Salvacion, Sto. Domingo caught fire on Tuesday night.
A police report identified the victim as Christina Ramirez, married and resident of Barangay Lidong, Sto. Domingo, who was brought to the Sto. Domingo Municipal Health Unit.
The report said the incident happened at about 11:00 p.m. while Ramirez was boiling water.
It said the victim did not notice that fire from the stove ignited the wall of their shelter, which is made of bamboo and palm leaves.
The fire spread and engulfed the whole temporary shelter they were sharing with the family of Edmundo Balean.
Other evacuees quickly helped to put out the fire to prevent it from spreading to other shelters being occupied by fellow evacuees.
The Bureau of Fire and Protection of the town soon came to finally put off the conflagration. (PNA) CTB/FGS/EMC/CBD/